Wednesday 20 July 2011

A Flying Start!

Enjoyed the experience of the Sunderland 5km tonight.   Lots of quality athletes on show and with a couple of Northern Veteran legends in Brian Rushworth and Stewy Bell in the field this race was going to be ultra competitive!

Very fast and furious start (reminded me of the start of the Northern Road Relays only loads more people crammed into a small space!).   A first mile of 5-12 didnt do it justice as I probably went off too conservatively and ended up being boxed in!   I didnt really pay any attention to times tonight as I was concentrating on fast running and racing.   Ended up reeling in Stewy Bell only to see him out run me in the last 800m...that guy is super strong!   Looked at my watch at the finish and clocked 16-31.  (Official time 16-32 and 20th place!.  Bell 16-29 and 19th place!)  

Mixed feelings about the race really...happy with the time although with a stronger finish a sub 16-30 was definitely on the cards.  I think the time was lost in the first mile to be honest as the fast downhill start was an opportunity to hit the ground running and bank some time instead I had to use energy to get past people which was difficult at times.

Splits tonight (for the record) were 5-12 for 1 mile, 10-29 for two miles and 15-51 for three miles.

Well done also to training partners Phil Musgrave and Steve Mussett who both had decent races tonight.   Results are here:  http://www.sunderlandharriers.org/results/2011/sundlnd_5k_2011.htm
Thats three races in six days for me...think I will have an easy week now and allow a bit of recovery time.   When did I become Mr Sensible?     Thoughts will now be turning to distance again with a focus on 10km as I am entering Middlesbrough 10km in September and the Great Yorkshire Run in October. http://www.greatrun.org/Events/Event.aspx?id=11

No comments:

Post a Comment