Thursday 1 September 2011

Well done Team Aviva GB + NI in Daegu!

So far five medals for the GB and Northern Ireland team....mixed results so far from Daegu but I think overall a fantastic World Championships so far....

Well done to all the medallists to date:

Mo Farah  Men’s 10,000m Silver
Andy Turner  Men’s 110mH  Bronze
Jess Ennis  Heptathlon  Silver
Hannah England Women’s 1500m Silver
Dai Greene  Men’s 400mH  Gold

Three days until Middlesbrough 10km and I cant wait to toe the line in a massive 10km race with loads of local athletes taking part.    Last year I had a disappointing race finishing in 35.18 for 27th place.   I went into the race full of confidence that a time in the low 34's was a real possibility but a hamstring twinge at 2 miles into the race put paid to any ambition I had of a fast time....I remember the feeling of runner after runner going past me on the fastest part of the course and not being able to do anything about it other than grit my teeth and push on.

This year I am in much better shape and go into the race with a few races under my belt that would suggest a low 34 posting is a real possibility.  It is really fantastic that we have such a quality road race on our doorstep and the numbers who enter every year prove the popularity of the event.  I'm in taper mode at the moment and going through the usual balancing act....how much running should I be doing?   Will too many easy days mean I am feeling stale on race day?  Is that a cold that I can feel coming on?

This week has looked so far like:

Sunday - 5 miles steady run @ 6-30 pace
Monday - 8 x 400m intervals all @ 5km pace and under
Tuesday - warm up then 5km time trial - me versus the Virtual Garmin Partner...I won by 3 seconds with a 16-57 effort!
Wednesday - Easy run am and a pm jog with a few strides/easy hills thrown in
Thursday (Today) - a 4 mile run before work average about 6-20 pace.

Next couple of days will just be short steady runs of maximum 5 miles each which will leave me feeling fresh on the start line on Sunday...

Yesterday I got my London Marathon Championship entry through the post.  This was as a result of my 74.47 Chester Half Marathon time back in May.    The Marathon in April seems a long way off but already I am thinking of how my training will be moving towards the longer runs over the winter. 

I love winter running...especially the Cross Country season......On Sunday as we hopefully enjoy the Middlesbrough 10km we will only be 5 weeks away from the start of the XC season.   Unfortunately I am going to have to delay the start of my own Cross Country season as I will be enjoying another big road race event as I line up for the Great Yorkshire Run (thanks to a complimentary entry from the organisers).  

An update on the new Brooks Adrenaline GTS shoes - quite possibly one of the best shoes I have worn!  Felt good from the off and for a motion control shoe feel really responsive and they look good (especially with my jazzy laces combination!).

Finally a big well done to Eurosport for the coverage of the World Championships in Daegu....Sorry Channel 4 you have a lot of work to do...a tip from me would be to ensure your presenters know a bit about athletics and can provide a bit of an insight into the events - there have been some shocking moments on Channel 4 that have proved they are not up to the standard of the BBC coverage or Eurosport!

My predictions for medals in Daegu - Farah (Gold) in the 5000m and Meadows in the 800 (I predict Bronze)....there is also the triple jump where I am sure Phillips Odowu will come away with a medal of some sort (I think Silver).   As for the relays...finishing them would be a bonus!

No comments:

Post a Comment