Sunday 19 October 2014

Don't write off Bekele

Flicking through this weeks Athletics Weekly and I came to a statement that made me think a lot!  It was the Chicago Marathon report which described the way that Eliud Kipchoge kept Kenenisa Bekele at bay.  The fact that Kipchoge put in a 4.33 mile at mile 25 and the split between 35 and 40 was a winning 14.31 clearly showed that this was a race that he wanted to win.  Bekele finished in 4th in a time of 2:05.51.

The article goes onto describe his disappointment at the result but something that the great man said in his interview really resonated with me.

"there is something with training method.  The body has to change completely from short distance to marathon.  Maybe it needs time and experience also".   So two marathons under his belt both at 2:05 which happens to be better on paper than two ex world marathon record holders "debuts" - Tergat and Gebreselassie - most definitely means that to write him off at your peril.  My bet is that there is more to come from that man!

My own recovery from Chester two weeks ago has gone well.  A few days off, some easy runs, a massage and a decent few runs this week stepping up in intensity has meant now I feel fully recovered.  I'm going to do a few low key cross country races and enjoy a good winter before starting out on another 18 week build up to Manchester next year.


Like Bekele I have definitely learned a lot about the marathon since this race!

No comments:

Post a Comment