Today's race was never going to be an all out affair. I toyed with the idea of doing the race as a long run and wondered how disciplined I could be to do an 8 or 10 mile warm up then "race" at marathon pace. In the end the wind that greeted us decided my tactics. I would do a four mile warm up followed by the 10 mile race followed by a four mile warm down. I decided that I would have an easy start with the first few miles with the wind helping then "see how it goes". The Manchester Marathon is my A race and these races are just part of the build up.
Race aims were simple:
1. Get through the race with no injury issues.
2. Keep each race mile at marathon pace or quicker (6:06 minute miling).
3. Try and run the second half as close as possible to the first half.
After a steady start the first five race miles (after a 4m warm up) were completed in a nice and steady 28:46. The second half a positive split with 29:53. The four mile cool down was a nice steady affair making it a total of 18 miles at an average of 6:15 per mile - job done!
So back to the aims:
1. Yes got through all fine which was a big relief after the last few injury ridden weeks.
2. Yes - all race miles under 6:06 miling - a bit close at times in the second half due to the wind!
3. A 67 second positive split. Did I mention it was windy?
8th overall and 1st Vet 40 was a bonus!
Back in the game it seems!