Sunday 6 November 2011

Maltby 7

Lots of positives today at Maltby....

3rd overall and 1st vet 40....Last year I managed 6th overall.
39.49 for the 7.1 mile course - 6 seconds up on last year

The best thing about today was that I felt strong at the finish and my last two miles were 5.30 and 5.43 miles - unlike recent races where I have felt like I was going backwards in the last mile or so today I felt good, in control and running with a bit left in the tank.  The first few miles was a bit of a cagey affair with a group of four of us watching NYMAC's Matty Hynes disappear off into the distance.   James Askew took advantage of the early climb to pull away leaving me to work with the two Middlesbrough and Cleveland boys up the hills.  My pre race strategy was to work hard in the first half and see who was with me.  As it turned out the first half was where the race was decided and I found myself clear in 3rd on the hill into Seamer.   Once the hills were out of the way it was just a case of working hard downhill and into the villages of Stainton and Thornton.   Just the Maltby hill to go then home and dry....it was nice to finish a race feeling strong and not having a certain fellow clubmate and veteran chasing me down!   Only joking Vic!

Maltby is a great race, lots of support, a cracking course and today was a perfect day for running!    Well done Sid Rudd and Billingham Marsh House Harriers for a great event.  Just one minor criticism though - if you are going to give out wine as team prizes dont give us low alcohol!   After 7 tough miles I think a proper drink was in order!

Here are the results......Malby 7 Mile race 6th November 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment